What are Hydrosols?
Hydrosols, also known as hydrolats, are the aqueous product of distillation and carry the hydrophilic properties (water-soluble components) of the plant in solution as well as microscopic droplets of essential oils in suspension.1 Every liter of hydrosol contains between 0.05 and 0.2 milliliter (less then 1%, typically 0.01 - 0.04%) of dissolved essential oil, depending on the water solubility of the plant’s components and the distillation parameters.2 Hydrosols also contain carboxylic acids, which may explain their observed anti-inflammatory activity.3Be sure to store all hydrosols in the refrigerator. Average shelf life: 12-24 months.
Hydrosols have numerous benefits for the skin including:
- Serve as hydrating components in a product, e.g. cream, cleanser, etc.
- Effective toners
- Anti-inflammatory, cooling
- Wound healing
- Safe for infants and young children in baths (1 tbsp) or spritzers.
- Indicated for eczema, psoriasis, rashes, acne and other inflammatory conditions
- Hot Flashes
- Great for children in baths or as a spritzer.
- Stress Relieving
- All Around Skin Care
- Wound Cleanser
- Insect Bites
- Oily Skin